Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stiffness in bending mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I have been COMSOL for quite sometime and have come across a problem that I can not solve very recently.

My objective is to find out the bending stiffness of a metallic nanoplate. What I have been doing is provide COMSOL with Young's modulus, Poissons ratio and density of the metal and got correct values of stiffness for longitudinal mode. However when I go for bending mode the numbers do not match with atomistic simulations. I think this can be solved by introducing anisotropic elastic constants of the metal (C11.C12,C44). Can anyone advise me as to how can I plugin these numbers in the solid mechanics module? Or if I were to plugin these values in the piezoelectric module what should I use for Coupling matrix, relative permittivity, loss factors?

Thanks

Sankha

1 Reply Last Post Jan 31, 2013, 12:55 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2013, 12:55 a.m. EST
Hi

first of all be aware that PZT and elastic material tensor notation for the matrices are different (by convention) so check carefully the order of the indexes.

you need to say more about your material, do you suspect it's anisotropic, in which structure (amorphe, crystalline ..., then you can decide which symmetry to use and enter the corresponding data, if you have them, or try to fit them from your measurements, but ass there are many variables, you would probably need also some torsion measurements to solve all anisotropic variables

Also, for such small models, be sure you have enough mesh elements also in the thickness, else your model might be wrong

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all be aware that PZT and elastic material tensor notation for the matrices are different (by convention) so check carefully the order of the indexes. you need to say more about your material, do you suspect it's anisotropic, in which structure (amorphe, crystalline ..., then you can decide which symmetry to use and enter the corresponding data, if you have them, or try to fit them from your measurements, but ass there are many variables, you would probably need also some torsion measurements to solve all anisotropic variables Also, for such small models, be sure you have enough mesh elements also in the thickness, else your model might be wrong -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.