Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi-pass continuous laser beam scan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

i have one basic question about Multi-pass continuous laser beam scan . i have moved laser beam (Gaussian)with same velocity in y-direction on plate from one end to other end. it was taking 3 sec. then, i want to move heat source from (3.2 sec) original position. Is this possible in comsol GUI? or We should use any script language?

can we use any function to obtain the second time scan?

i used the following heat source for first scan

500[MW/m^3]*an1(sys2.r[1/m])

6 Replies Last Post Aug 2, 2016, 5:28 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 4, 2012, 7:57 a.m. EDT
Hi

how do you scan w.r.t. to time ? there were a few threads already discussing raster scanning and functions to provide the trajectories ;)

Do not forget that you make discontinuities when you make sudden jumps, this gives some issues often for the solver to converge

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi how do you scan w.r.t. to time ? there were a few threads already discussing raster scanning and functions to provide the trajectories ;) Do not forget that you make discontinuities when you make sudden jumps, this gives some issues often for the solver to converge -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 4, 2012, 8:20 a.m. EDT
Hi ivar,

thank you for your quick reply. i want to move laser beam w.r.t time. i have used (V*t) this expression. V-is a speed of laser beam. i have used cylinderical co-ordinates to movement.but , i could not get the second pass.

How can i get second pass?

then,i want to move the spot w.r.t time and space?
how can acheive?

can you give any example (time and space dependent)?

sorry for the lot of questions

thank you ivar...
Hi ivar, thank you for your quick reply. i want to move laser beam w.r.t time. i have used (V*t) this expression. V-is a speed of laser beam. i have used cylinderical co-ordinates to movement.but , i could not get the second pass. How can i get second pass? then,i want to move the spot w.r.t time and space? how can acheive? can you give any example (time and space dependent)? sorry for the lot of questions thank you ivar...

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 4, 2012, 12:45 p.m. EDT
define to different functions, one for each type of movement. Then combine them through boolean operators: f1*(t<t1)+f2*(t>t2)
define to different functions, one for each type of movement. Then combine them through boolean operators: f1*(tt2)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2012, 2:45 a.m. EDT
Hi Alex,

thank you for your response. but i could not understand. can you explain more....where can i find boolean operator..

i want to pass the (moving heat flux) beam 3 times in same path.can i use boolean operator..

can you help me?

Hi Alex, thank you for your response. but i could not understand. can you explain more....where can i find boolean operator.. i want to pass the (moving heat flux) beam 3 times in same path.can i use boolean operator.. can you help me?

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 24, 2016, 3:49 a.m. EDT
Mr. Alexander
thanks a lot. Your reply really helped a lot.

Ashish Mishra
Mr. Alexander thanks a lot. Your reply really helped a lot. Ashish Mishra

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 2, 2016, 5:28 a.m. EDT

Hi

how do you scan w.r.t. to time ? there were a few threads already discussing raster scanning and functions to provide the trajectories ;)

Do not forget that you make discontinuities when you make sudden jumps, this gives some issues often for the solver to converge

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

While modeling, I am getting some relative residual error(singularity error) because of the discontinuity in time domain. Could you tell me how to make it smooth ?

Thank you.

[QUOTE] Hi how do you scan w.r.t. to time ? there were a few threads already discussing raster scanning and functions to provide the trajectories ;) Do not forget that you make discontinuities when you make sudden jumps, this gives some issues often for the solver to converge -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, While modeling, I am getting some relative residual error(singularity error) because of the discontinuity in time domain. Could you tell me how to make it smooth ? Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.