Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Releases COMSOL Multiphysics version 4.3a

Phil Kinnane COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

We at COMSOL are proud to introduce version 4.3a of COMSOL Multiphysics to the COMSOL community

See: www.comsol.com/products/4.3a/

This introduces:
* LiveLink™ for Excel®
* LiveLink™ for Solid Edge®
* The ECAD Import Module
* The Fatigue Module

Other major features include:
* Cloud computing support on Amazon's EC2™
* Faster parallel processing
* Improved parametric optimization

To read the press release got to: www.comsol.com/press/news/article/895/

Enjoy!

Phil

14 Replies Last Post Feb 27, 2014, 8:03 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 3, 2012, 1:03 p.m. EDT
Hi Phil

Looks as ususal: more than what I even could dream of ! :)

Hope you have also some nice studies on memory shape materials and phase transitions, and of rheological fluids in dynamic flow cases ;)

I'm really looking forward to test it out, soon ...

So is this to undertsand that those of us going to the Conferences will get the latest CD there ?

And for the others, any idea when you hope to be able to ship out so many plates to us, all around the world ?

--
Having always fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Phil Looks as ususal: more than what I even could dream of ! :) Hope you have also some nice studies on memory shape materials and phase transitions, and of rheological fluids in dynamic flow cases ;) I'm really looking forward to test it out, soon ... So is this to undertsand that those of us going to the Conferences will get the latest CD there ? And for the others, any idea when you hope to be able to ship out so many plates to us, all around the world ? -- Having always fun Comsoling Ivar

Bernt Nilsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 9, 2012, 2:28 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,
All COMSOL Conference attendees in Boston, Milan, and Bangalore will be able to download a trial version of COMSOL Multiphysics and its add-on products for use at the event.
Best regards,
Bernt
COMSOL
Hi Ivar, All COMSOL Conference attendees in Boston, Milan, and Bangalore will be able to download a trial version of COMSOL Multiphysics and its add-on products for use at the event. Best regards, Bernt COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2012, 2:20 a.m. EDT

So is this to undertsand that those of us going to the Conferences will get the latest CD there ?

Why wait?

Go get the disc image at:

www.comsol.com/support/download

- Simppa -
[QUOTE] So is this to undertsand that those of us going to the Conferences will get the latest CD there ? [/QUOTE] Why wait? Go get the disc image at: http://www.comsol.com/support/download - Simppa -

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 16, 2012, 10:23 a.m. EDT
The Full DVD image offered for download seems corrupted (too small, truncated files) as of today. The linux 64 full installer refused to proceed due to SOCKS proxy errors. I was finally able to install off the Compact DVD iso, I still have to figure out what am I missing.

Enrico
The Full DVD image offered for download seems corrupted (too small, truncated files) as of today. The linux 64 full installer refused to proceed due to SOCKS proxy errors. I was finally able to install off the Compact DVD iso, I still have to figure out what am I missing. Enrico

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 16, 2012, 10:48 a.m. EDT
Hi

I had no issues installing the compact version (on windows 64 ;)
it went smoothly but it takes time to get over the "pipe",
so try not to download the full model library

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I had no issues installing the compact version (on windows 64 ;) it went smoothly but it takes time to get over the "pipe", so try not to download the full model library -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2012, 12:33 p.m. EDT
There is a new tutorial for the acoustics module included with the title:
"Nonlinear Acoustics: Modeling of the 1D Westervelt Equation".
This is something excellent, and elegantly simple to implement even with the 4.3 version.
It models the wave deformation due to the changing speed of sound in high pressure areas.

However, it does not take into account the effect of the absolute pressure on the shape of the waves.
For example the fluid in the example was water, and it was not possible to set an initial custom absolute pressure for it. The acoustic pressure amplitude was 1e6 Pa which is about 10 times greater than the absolute pressure of the fluid under atmospheric conditions. This means that with an initial atmospheric absolute pressure, the wave shape can not be symmetric as in the study results, because this would form a -9e5 Pa negative absolute peak pressure which is not possible. So we would expect cavitation and an asymmetric waveform.

My question is whether it is possible to tweak the model to take the effect of the absolute pressure into account as well, and provide a very realistic simulation? If yes, then how to do it?

Thanks,
Joe
There is a new tutorial for the acoustics module included with the title: "Nonlinear Acoustics: Modeling of the 1D Westervelt Equation". This is something excellent, and elegantly simple to implement even with the 4.3 version. It models the wave deformation due to the changing speed of sound in high pressure areas. However, it does not take into account the effect of the absolute pressure on the shape of the waves. For example the fluid in the example was water, and it was not possible to set an initial custom absolute pressure for it. The acoustic pressure amplitude was 1e6 Pa which is about 10 times greater than the absolute pressure of the fluid under atmospheric conditions. This means that with an initial atmospheric absolute pressure, the wave shape can not be symmetric as in the study results, because this would form a -9e5 Pa negative absolute peak pressure which is not possible. So we would expect cavitation and an asymmetric waveform. My question is whether it is possible to tweak the model to take the effect of the absolute pressure into account as well, and provide a very realistic simulation? If yes, then how to do it? Thanks, Joe

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2012, 2:50 p.m. EDT
Hi

I believe this is typically a comment of the ones to send also to "support", as they have made up the tutorials

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe this is typically a comment of the ones to send also to "support", as they have made up the tutorials -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 20, 2012, 2:12 p.m. EST
There are a lot of new features, models and modules in 4.3a. The feature that I benefitted from the most so far is the new pseudo-time stepping for stationary FSI problems.
There are a lot of new features, models and modules in 4.3a. The feature that I benefitted from the most so far is the new pseudo-time stepping for stationary FSI problems.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 6, 2012, 4:57 a.m. EST
Dear All

And yesterday Dec 5 the v4.3a update 1 that fixes at least a few issues making me loose quite some time, thanks for that, check the update page

--
Good luck
Ivar
Dear All And yesterday Dec 5 the v4.3a update 1 that fixes at least a few issues making me loose quite some time, thanks for that, check the update page -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 12, 2013, 2:20 p.m. EDT
Where can you get the trial version of comsol ?
Where can you get the trial version of comsol ?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 12, 2013, 3:22 p.m. EDT
Hello Rajnikant,
To discuss your interest, please contact your local COMSOL representative through this link:
www.comsol.com/contact/
Best,
Jeff
Hello Rajnikant, To discuss your interest, please contact your local COMSOL representative through this link: http://www.comsol.com/contact/ Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2014, 5:23 a.m. EST
Sorry but where can i download the trial version of the software. Before my institute buys the software, we wish to try different modules.
Thank you.
Sorry but where can i download the trial version of the software. Before my institute buys the software, we wish to try different modules. Thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 27, 2014, 6:48 a.m. EST
Hi

I am just getting started with comsol as currently I started working on digital microfluidics as my university job. My question is how do I get the trial passcode. I need to show a basic model of a basic droplet flow in order for my professor to authorize the purchase of Comsol.

Than you
Hi I am just getting started with comsol as currently I started working on digital microfluidics as my university job. My question is how do I get the trial passcode. I need to show a basic model of a basic droplet flow in order for my professor to authorize the purchase of Comsol. Than you

Phil Kinnane COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 27, 2014, 8:03 a.m. EST

Hi

I am just getting started with comsol as currently I started working on digital microfluidics as my university job. My question is how do I get the trial passcode. I need to show a basic model of a basic droplet flow in order for my professor to authorize the purchase of Comsol.

Than you

Hi Shashwata,

You can request a trial by contacting your local COMSOL representative. Please visit:
www.comsol.com/contact/
to find this person.

An example of basic droplet flow can be seen at:
www.comsol.com/model/inkjet-nozzle-level-set-1445

Other examples using similar physics are:
www.comsol.com/model/electrocoalescence-5709
www.comsol.com/model/oscillating-droplet-1378
www.comsol.com/model/droplet-breakup-in-a-t-junction-1994

Best regards,

Phil
[QUOTE] Hi I am just getting started with comsol as currently I started working on digital microfluidics as my university job. My question is how do I get the trial passcode. I need to show a basic model of a basic droplet flow in order for my professor to authorize the purchase of Comsol. Than you [/QUOTE] Hi Shashwata, You can request a trial by contacting your local COMSOL representative. Please visit: www.comsol.com/contact/ to find this person. An example of basic droplet flow can be seen at: http://www.comsol.com/model/inkjet-nozzle-level-set-1445 Other examples using similar physics are: http://www.comsol.com/model/electrocoalescence-5709 http://www.comsol.com/model/oscillating-droplet-1378 http://www.comsol.com/model/droplet-breakup-in-a-t-junction-1994 Best regards, Phil

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.