Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Average over smoothed data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am calculating the average of some 2D data. If I understand correctly, Comsol calculates the integral of the raw data over the selected domain. However, when I plot the data on a surface plot, I notice that it looks much better when it is smoothed. My question is, is it possible to calculate the average using the smoothed data instead of the raw data?

Thank you,

Alex

2 Replies Last Post Mar 27, 2020, 9:15 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 26, 2020, 4:53 p.m. EDT

The integration itself will act as a smoothing. Under some simplifying assumptions, it can actually be shown that the integral of the discontinuous field and the integral of the smoothed field are the same.

If the difference becomes important, then I would suggest that your mesh is too coarse.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The integration itself will act as a smoothing. Under some simplifying assumptions, it can actually be shown that the integral of the discontinuous field and the integral of the smoothed field are the same. If the difference becomes important, then I would suggest that your mesh is too coarse.

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 27, 2020, 9:15 a.m. EDT

That makes sense.

Thanks Henrik!

Alex

That makes sense. Thanks Henrik! Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.