Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

IS cohesive zone model compatible with plasticity?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol Users and Technicians,

I'm working on a soft thin film (subject to expansion) in adhesion to stiff substrate using cohesive zone model. The interface is thus in mode II cracking. I assumed elastic perfectly plastic relation for the film and an elastic relation for the substrate. I found that in some cases, depending on the relative value of interfacial strength (tau_c) and yield stress, the plastic flow begins while interfacial shear stress is well below tau_c until a certain displacement is reached and the damage occur. The interfacial normal stress is compressive and vertical displacement is negative (negative, meaning there's a small penetration, does not contribute to the effective gap distance). It seems that the dissipated energy would not the the area of the triangle for the bilinear relation since the stress is well below tau_c.

I also tried to decrease the interfacial shear strength (Tau_c) such that maxmum stress occur before yield. In this case, the interfacial shear stress overshoots shear strength by a factor of 1.4 and then stays at the high value (probably bounded by the yield stress).

My concern is whether CZM can work with plastic relation. Are they in contradiction in the sense that the material along the interface is subject to two constitutive equation?

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Xiaokang

1 Reply Last Post Aug 14, 2019, 3:55 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 14, 2019, 3:55 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Aug 14, 2019, 3:47 a.m. EDT

Hi,

In principle, there is no conflict between the cohesive zone and plasticity. You can consider it as two adjacent materials, where the weakest one will fail.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, In principle, there is no conflict between the cohesive zone and plasticity. You can consider it as two adjacent materials, where the weakest one will fail. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.