Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

piezoelectric energy harvester

Pravallika Chinnapalli

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello all, I am planning to simulate the below figure. I am applying force on one plate, so it will deflect downwards and strikes second one. But when I simulate the figure in comsol , it doesn't shows any deflection in COMSOL multiphysics. Can any one suggest me?

3 Replies Last Post Apr 24, 2019, 2:45 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 22, 2019, 8:46 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Apr 22, 2019, 1:20 p.m. EDT

Hello Pravallika,

It looks like you are interested in modeling contact. This is certainly possible with COMSOL. Before you start, make sure your license includes the Structural Mechanics Module or the MEMS Module as the structural mechanics capabilities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics do not include contact. To check whether your license includes either of these optional add-on products, in the software go to File > Licensed and Used Products.

If you have either product, in their Users Guide look for "Contact Modeling". If you do not have either module, you can explore several tutorial models demonstrating contact modeling in the Application Gallery. Also this webinar on contact modeling will help you get going with contact modeling.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Pravallika, It looks like you are interested in modeling contact. This is certainly possible with COMSOL. Before you start, make sure your license includes the Structural Mechanics Module or the MEMS Module as the structural mechanics capabilities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics do not include contact. To check whether your license includes either of these optional add-on products, in the software go to File > Licensed and Used Products. If you have either product, in their Users Guide look for "Contact Modeling". If you do not have either module, you can explore several tutorial models demonstrating contact modeling in the [Application Gallery](https://www.comsol.com/models?q=contact). Also this [webinar on contact modeling](https://www.comsol.com/video/simulating-structural-contact-with-comsol-multiphysics) will help you get going with contact modeling. Best, Jeff

Pravallika Chinnapalli

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 24, 2019, 1:02 a.m. EDT

Hello Jello, Thanks for your suggestion. I am getting an error in comsol that "failed to find a solution. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps reached." Can you please suggest me how to resolve this issue.

Hello Jello, Thanks for your suggestion. I am getting an error in comsol that "failed to find a solution. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps reached." Can you please suggest me how to resolve this issue.

Pravallika Chinnapalli

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 24, 2019, 2:45 a.m. EDT

Hello Jeff, I simulated the model but an error was coming like this "Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol2/s1) Failed to find a solution. Maximum number of dogleg iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned." Can you suggest me. What I observed is when I increase the prescribed displacement more than the gap between two domains, it is not showing deflection in the second domain.

Hello Jeff, I simulated the model but an error was coming like this "Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol2/s1) Failed to find a solution. Maximum number of dogleg iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned." Can you suggest me. What I observed is when I increase the prescribed displacement more than the gap between two domains, it is not showing deflection in the second domain.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.