Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

transient vibration of a plate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to find out the transient vibration of a clamped plate by applying a time dependent load of 100*sin(2*pi*f*t), where t is for time and f = 100 Hz.. The load is uniformly acting on the surface of the plate. Therefore, I am expecting that the displacement with respect to time of a point on the plate should also be sinusoidal. However, I am not getting that. Please inform me, if I am wrong here.

I am attaching my model for your reference. In the model, I have found the amplitude of displacement at the middle point.

Any kind of help would be happily appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Kiran

2 Replies Last Post Oct 12, 2010, 1:35 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2010, 2:43 p.m. EDT
Dear Kiran,
I've tried to open your file with Comsol v4, but no analysis node was present. Thus I cannot see what are your settings for the time dependent analysis.
In any case, I've noticed that you draw a 3D geometry but the shell application mode is assigned only to one surface.
I think that if you want to model just a plate, a surface embedded in the 3D space is sufficient.
Please also note that you obtain a sinusoid as output only if you employ a time step in your time dependent analysis which is at least 1/10 of the period of your input load.
I hope this help.

Alessandro
Dear Kiran, I've tried to open your file with Comsol v4, but no analysis node was present. Thus I cannot see what are your settings for the time dependent analysis. In any case, I've noticed that you draw a 3D geometry but the shell application mode is assigned only to one surface. I think that if you want to model just a plate, a surface embedded in the 3D space is sufficient. Please also note that you obtain a sinusoid as output only if you employ a time step in your time dependent analysis which is at least 1/10 of the period of your input load. I hope this help. Alessandro

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 12, 2010, 1:35 a.m. EDT
Hi Alessandro,

Thanks a lot for your valuable information. I had done the modeling again by taking your inputs. However, I have got almost the same result, even though I used a time step of 1/20th of the time period of the input force. I am attaching the model (your comments incorporated in the model) here with for reference.

I did the modeling in Comsol 3.5a. That's why you may not be able to open the file.

If anybody has any kind of comments on this model, please do so. I will happily appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kiran
Hi Alessandro, Thanks a lot for your valuable information. I had done the modeling again by taking your inputs. However, I have got almost the same result, even though I used a time step of 1/20th of the time period of the input force. I am attaching the model (your comments incorporated in the model) here with for reference. I did the modeling in Comsol 3.5a. That's why you may not be able to open the file. If anybody has any kind of comments on this model, please do so. I will happily appreciate it. Thanks, Kiran

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.